Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Who Were You Named After?

Sorry, I've been absent for a while but we've been passing the flu back and forth since Thanksgiving.

Tonight Bob and I were discussing some topics and somehow I mentioned that Debbie Reynolds was the mother of Carrie Fisher (Princess Leah in Star Wars) and Bob didn't know who Debbie Reynolds was!  I coudln't believe it because I was named after a song and series of movies that she made famous in 1957.  I know this is back in the dark ages but this song was very popular then so it is a good example of how music has changed.  Since my husband couldn't remember who Debbie was and what the song was I found it on YouTube.   So for my children and those who wonder where I got my name here's a tribute to Debbie Reynolds as she sings the title song to the Tammy movies.  You might also remember her in "The Unsinkable Molly Brown," and "Singing In The Rain," along with many other films.  If you haven't seen any of these movies then I strongly suggest you watch all of some of them.  They are great!  Enjoy...



Dreamy huh?  Sigh!  My middle name, Jean, is my mother's middle name who was named Norma Jean (real name of Marylin Monroe).  I'm sensing a pattern here.  Where did you get your name?

3 comments:

Christy said...

Awww, I like that song. Cute post mom! My mom had my name picked out since she was a little girl.

Brenda E said...

I can't believe Bob didn't know who Debbie Reynolds was. We used to watch old time movies all the time. I own a copy of the movie the Unsinkable Molly Brown. I had a bishop tell me I reminded him of her in that movie. I also have Singing In The Rain. Those are both great movies. Brenda Lee the singer, she is also an oldie. I believe a Country Western Singer. I don't know what she sang though. I had a missionary companion I always sang the Tammy song with, because she also was named after her.

Family von Graf said...

OMG! I was wondering if that's where your mom's name was from. And I had NO CLUE you were named after Tammy from the Tammy movies. My mom has been trying to get her hands on those for years! And I am a HUGE Debbie Reynolds fan.

Our Graf men are funny. They may have no clue who we are talking about til you explain who they are and then they might get it. I will have to test Jason's Debbie Reynolds skills when he gets home cause he's the one that owned Singing in the Rain and made me watch it. LOL

(Glad I found your blog. Will hopefully keep up with you and Bob better.)