Friday, February 20, 2009

Snapshot of My Life - February - Hammock

One of my favorite places is my hammock. This picture doesn't look like much but it is winter. This is the place I can go to relax and unwind. I take a book and sometimes blankets and rock myself into a calm relaxed state. When Bob and I met I lived in an apartment with a small balcony that was too small for my hammock. It sadly lived in storage. When we got married we moved into Bob's condo whose balcony was also too small for my hammock. Since we have such a large family we bought a house. The Real Estate Agent called me to meet her at our new home where she would turn over the keys. I was so excited! I called Bob and asked him to join us. We waited....and waited...he was over 30 minutes late. I couldn't believe it! Finally the Agent gave me the keys and left.

FINALLY Bob pulled up in our new driveway with a big grin on his face. I couldn't be too upset at him because we had just bought a beautiful new home but I was a bit annoyed. Bob can sometimes get involved in something and forget where he is supposed to be. He is my absent-minded professor. Anyway Bob was so happy and said that he had a surprise for me. He opened up his car and pulled out the parts of my hammock! I hadn't been able to lay in it for over two years and he had gone through our garage, which was piled high with boxes to the ceiling, and found all the parts to the hammock so that it would be the first thing in our new home.

Needless to say, I wasn't annoyed any more and was so amazed that he remembered how much I wanted to have a place for my hammock. We have sat and layed in this hammock and had long talks with each other, kids and grandchildren. I have been known to fall asleep in my hammock and wake up with an insect bite where my face and hand (separate times) were so swollen that I had to go to the hospital for antibiotics (I'm allergic to about everything that bites). It hasn't stopped me from spending time in my favorite place. I guess it's worth it.


No comments: